The baton is at the very heart of Walk on Wales. Inscribed with the rank, initials and surnames of the 50 Welsh Guards who have given their lives in active service since 8 May 1945, it embodies the spirit of these brave men, most of whom were well known to the people who will be carrying the baton around the Welsh coastline.
The sterling silver baton has been commissioned and generously donated by Welsh Guards Rugby Reunion Club. It has been made by Mr Warwick Fraser Gück, a sixth generation silversmith of Edward Fraser Limited of Birmingham, who has previously undertaken many commissions for the armed forces, a number of which have been presented to royalty.
The end caps are embossed with the Regimental crest and the cap rims with two Celtic crosses. The baton conceals a scroll which commemorates the eight soldiers from other regiments and Corps who were killed in action while attached to the Welsh Guards.